Clearing Out The Clutter

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

After I wrote this post a few weeks ago, I saved it as a draft and immediately felt embarrassed. Embarrassed about holding onto things from 10-15 years ago. I re-read the post a handful of times and something inside of me clicked.

I decided that I didn't need to be ashamed. I just needed to let go. I committed myself to get rid of 100 things by the end of the year. I grabbed a basket and started throwing things in that I look at every day but serve no purpose other than to take up space.

I utilized Freecycle to give things away. I love Freecycle and I've been a member for 4 or 5 years now. I also listed a few things on Craigslist and eBay. I'm making great progress and plan to continue to meet my goal of 100 things gone. To make it harder on myself, I'm counting like items as one.

So, these cassette tapes? All 117 of them? GONE! I asked my kids if they could think of any reason why I should keep these? They said they didn't even know what a cassette tape was. I took them to the trash bin, took a deep breath and tossed them. It wasn't easy.


Here's a rundown on some other stuff that I've shown the door:

*Teddy Ruxpin Bear
*Unused Perfume
*Cassette Case
*Pocket Folders
*Camera Case
*Assorted Christmas cardS
*Messenger Bag
*Brown Boots
*Mosaic Candle Holder
*Clear glass vase
*18 Kids Books
*Dora Wallet
*Fisher Price Doodle Pro
*Blade free hair remover
*Blanket
*Friendship plaque
*2 DVD-Rom computer games
*36 Books
*Journals/Notepads
*Bottle Openers
*Key chains
*Caribbean Life Magazines from 2004
*School directories from 2004
*Never used Humidifier - SOLD FOR $20

All in all I've rid myself of about 35 things. Only 65 more to go. I feel like a weight has been and will continue to be lifted from my shoulders. The remainder of this week I'm going to tackle my closet. I plan to donate the clothes to a women's shelter. I'm also donating old cell phones to Cell Phones for Soldiers.

I'm reclaiming my house from all this junk. I'm turning my house into a home. I'm experiencing a feeling of freedom that I haven't felt in years. That my friends, is amazing!

P.S. In the land of Chantel, "come back tomorrow" means check back in 6-7 days.

chantelligence.com

Comments

No response to “Clearing Out The Clutter”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template Design By LawnyDesigns Powered by Blogger